Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Cockroaches

Just the other day my cousin Domenic (Cuz) called me. He wanted to let me know that our cousin from Italy was coming for a visit in October, and to call me a cockroach. The term cockroach was coined, or at least he uses it the most, by Howard Eskin of WIP (local sports radio). Eskin uses the term to refer to Cowboys fans, mostly who live in the Philly area. This got me to thinking (dangerous, isn’t it?)…In today’s politically correct society, and the diverse society we live in, I, a cockroach, was offended. At my wife’s school (she is a school teacher), they promote diversity with a huge campaign. In a nutshell, it’s to let everyone know that we are different and that we should understand and respect others points of view.

I also remember in 8th grade History/Government Class, Mrs. Hallman telling us a little bit about our country’s Constitution…that includes our Bill of Rights. One of those Rights is the Freedom of Expression. In other countries, they don’t have these same rights. They fight for these rights!

A few years back at the Vet, I was at an Eagles-Cowboys game and witnessed a grown man spilling a beer over a young boy’s head because he was wearing an Aikman jersey. That boy was minding his own business…just trying to enjoy his team play. I have seen people brawl over similar circumstances many times at the Vet.

Just because we cockroaches root for the Cowboys…Do we not feel? Do we not mourn? Do we not bleed? Why should we be put through this scrutiny? Should we not have those rights to express ourselves freely? Many have fought to give us those rights…why should some crazed fans take them away from us?

I am hoping for quieter, friendlier fans at the Linc in December…more sophisticated, educated fans…the type of fans who support our Constitution, our country, our diversity, and our love for political correctness. So my plea to all the Eagles fans out there, and to Cuz…can’t we all just get along? *

*This article was completely written with tongue in cheek.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good luck on that! You will get slaughtered at the Linc!

Anonymous said...

It would be nice if we could all get along. I don't mind a little friendly haggling, but I think some fans take it to far. I mean really, snowballs at Santa.... that's taking it too far. On the same note, I think the political correct thing has gone way to far. In some ways I think we are too understanding and forgiving. For example, people stand up and clap for recovering addicts. What about the poor person who never did a drug in their life. No one gives them a round of applause.